Monday, November 7, 2011

360 Cup / BLVD Cup

Two days in the same park with no overlap. That is pretty much unheard of because it is double the work. Regardless, the courses were two of the best of the year. The 360 Cup was a lot of elevation change while the Blvd Cup was nearly flat except for a technical berm section that modulated a bit. 

Following the theme of being in the same place, but being completely different, my races couldn't have gone more differently. Saturday was nearly flawless technically. I got a good start, rode everything cleanly, got into 2nd place behind Joe Schmalz and stayed there mostly by myself. I really enjoyed this course, had some good climbing and some fun descending sections with just enough technicality to keep you honest. It was definitely a fitness course.

Sunday was brutal and ugly. I crashed 3 times in different places and had 2 near misses. I really did like the course and the atmosphere was great. Mike Berning said the goal was a course with no recovery sections and he nailed it. I couldn't get out of my own way. I missed a pedal at the start and was immediately in 15th. I rode through to about 6th or 7th then screwed up the ride/run up section badly. I slide out on the berm after hitting my pedal coming out of an off camber section. My second crash was in the sand and I bruised my tailbone making pedaling pretty hard after that. A few laps later I majorly screwed up on the barriers and took myself out of the race. That is my first DNF from a crash in 4 years of cross, so I was probably due. Thanks to everybody who helped me scoop me off the course. I think I got the wind knocked out of my and was cramping in the legs pretty bad too. Nothing but bruises and a dent to the ego, but those are necessary to keep one humble and desiring to learn more about racing. 


No comments:

Post a Comment