Monday, September 20, 2010

Hermann - Cross Under the Lights (Water)

Hermann has earned a reputation as a great event. Night race, stairs, great promoter, tough MO+KS field. JB and I decided to head out this year to see what this race was all about. We decided to rough it for the weekend - camping out at the course with the My Wife Inc. team. We got there and found that our camping spot was perfect, right across from the registration shelter.

After signing in, we got a couple of laps in on the course. It was going to be a very good one. Nice long starting section on pavement, flowing turns behind the ball-field, and some long open sections plus first barrier led into the stairs. Then back towards the Start/Finish line, through the sand pit, and into the more twisty section of the course. Over 4 mini-barriers to hop/ride/run. Then into the backside of the course, a few corners that you had to be a little careful through, and over the second solo barrier. Around a few more trees to complete the loop back onto the pavement. Overall - one of the better courses around.

As the 3's race started, clouds were starting to form in the distance. The lights came on, and things were really starting to get interesting. Lightning started up north, and by the time my race was about to begin, the lightning was all around us, but still in the distance. The official (Buddy) said that if the lightning got any closer, they would have to shorten the race, so listen for the bell, because that would be one to go.

I got to line up in the 2nd row on the edge. As we got ready to go, I felt a few drops of rain, and guessed the storm was coming. The race started and I got a good start. Immediately, we saw there was a van on the course coming straight at us! Brakes squealed, someone crashed, everyone slowed up and looked around wondering what just happened. We got called back, everyone grabbed their same spot, and we started again. Another good start. I slotted in about 6th off the pavement. Two riders almost took me out, and I slid back a few spots. Then the rain started coming down. The whole field was pretty much single file all the way through the first half of the course and stayed that was through the second half. We wound around and a few people slid out on the corners. I felt pretty solid but was hesitant for whatever reason.

We hit the end of the first lap and the bell was being rung - last lap! Everyone went crazy at that point. FULL gas - I was holding down 6-7th spot through the stairs. We got through the first half of the course without much incident - but on the 2nd half there were a lot of wrecks. I kept things upright and tried to take advantage when I could. Apparently, I was going too slow for Josh Johnson (Big Shark) who tried to get around me twice only to crash right in front of me. Whatever. I easily went by him at the line for 5th, the last payout spot.

By this time, the rain was in full effect and the lightning show was spectacular. There was wind too. We had dinner in JJ's pop-up trailer. When the rain finally subsided, I decided to set up the tent. The grass was very wet, but the sandbox next to the trailer was draining very well so I set up there. The rain started again right after I got the tent up - and after two more hours of really heavy rain, lightning lighting up my tent, thunder shaking the ground, and my tent threatening to blow away. I heard voices outside and saw flashing lights. So I looked out and saw that the river was flooding and there was now water up to the wheels of the pop-up. I got another workout in by running with my tent up the hill, then going back to help out with the other stuff. The water continued to rise fast, and soon the pop-up was abandoned, and we packed our wet stuff and went to higher ground.

It was now 2:30 and we are all wide awake - adrenaline going. We got all organized at the nearby gas station and were humored by some local "wit". After having a very amusing conversion with the KCCX guys about their now partially underwater trailer, we re-organizing our gear, shaking and wringing out some water, and watching the flood from across the street - then we found a parking spot for a few hours of shut eye before heading home.

7am came quickly, but it was eye opening to see what used to be the course. The water had subsided back to a swollen river leaving just wreckage behind. Another team had lost a GMC SUV and a trailer that had been up to the roof in water. Silt, garbage, and fish lay strewn about. But oddly, much of the course tape was roughly in place.

Overall, it was nice to leave only wet and tired, but unhurt and with all our gear. There are more important things in life than racing.

2 comments:

  1. hey andrew,
    sorry about the lost weekend. good racing at swope in kc though. they need to figure that weekend out so both events get even better fields. When they get kc cup results posted, are you going to get those results to crossresults.com? i know you have taken care of that in past, but i dont want to just assume you are taking on that responsibility again. If you are, then Thanks A Lot!

    Josh Taylor

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck this weekend at Madison. Tent camping or getting a room???? Nevermind, I know the answer.

    ReplyDelete