Monday, November 15, 2010

DeStad Cup

The St. Mary's course has been one of my favorites over the last few years. It often features a good mix of technical sections, power sections, and climbing.

This course had all the typical elements of St. Mary's. Cobbles, winding through trees, downhill barriers, bumpy climbs, some tricky ride ups, gravel, loamy grass. It was great. There were a couple of tricky ride/run-ups that were ride-able as long as you took the right line and kept your speed up.


Ride up

I got a fair start, was about 4th coming off of the cobbles. Jeff Winkler and Brian Jenson were at the front, so I worked hard to get up to them as quickly as possible. After about a half lap or so, I had made contact with them and was trying to figure out a game plan. Brian attacked by the baseball field near the end of lap one and got a little gap. I tried to follow, but couldn't match his speed.

Early on


Brian held a little gap to Jeff and I, but dropped his chain on the bumpy descent on the backside of the course letting us back on. He sat on for a little bit and then attacked again by the baseball field getting another gap. Istalled out on the ride up forcing a dismount and letting Brian get a little more time.

I led the chase back around the cobbles and into the barriers. Brian wasn't gaining too much time, but then over the barriers he dropped his chain again. I went by with Jeff in tow, thinking I needed to get us as much time over Brian as possible since he was riding very strong.

At some point just before the big ride up by the baseball field, I got a few second gap to Jeff. I'm not sure exactly where this happened, but once I noticed it I decided to just go and see what happened.

I've not had great races locally for some reason. Maybe it is lack of focus or something. I've just made lots of dumb mistakes with crashes or not being aggressive when I need to or just being complacent during races. Anyway, once I realized I was at the front of the race, that sort of went out the window. I was very focused on the technical parts of the course. I tried to power out of every turn. Ride smooth and fast over the bumps and up the climbs. No dumb risks.

No mistakes

Over the next couple of laps I saw my lead grow ever so slightly. With one to go I had a good handful of seconds advantage over Jeff, and Brian was trailing even further back. I was getting pretty tired by this point, but I made myself focus hard on one last lap of riding smooth and fast. No dumb mistakes.

Podium
I ended up winning. Pretty fun. Hopefully I'm taking some good form into Jingle Cross. Thanks to Chris Locke for a sweet course and some very nice pictures!

No comments:

Post a Comment