Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Tour of KC

Raced day 2 and 3 of the Tour of KC last weekend. It was awesome to have a full team in the race. I think the fields were a lot smaller this year, but there were still a lot of big hitters in our race.

Saturday I tried to get into a break with some of the other big teams, but nothing was sticking. After that the heat really got to me and so I tried to hide in the group as much as possible to help out teammates at the finish. That didn't work out very well because I struggled with cramps near the end. Afterwards we had a team BBQ and had a good time.

Sunday was another hot day. My game plan was to be more conservative early. Unfortunately, the winning break went up the road early and I was totally out of position. I probably should have tried to get up to it as soon as it went, but instead just sat there. After that I took some small pulls at the front but the break was well up the road and gaining. I started to really struggle again in the heat and just tail-gunned for the rest of the race. Fortunately, my teammates did well again in the sprint.

I've just gotten a mountain bike for the first time in about 5 years, so I'm going to start riding that much more over the next couple of months. Should be fun/hilarious.

No comments:

Post a Comment