Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Grand Prix HPT

Definitely a highlight of the local CX calender is the Grand Prix HPT race. Last year was a bit of a downer as I tore off a rear derailleur early on and was forced to abandon. This year, the open field was a bit sparse with many guys at the Louisville USGP.

I got the holeshot and led coming onto the track. I had opened up a little gap already and so I drilled it for the rest of the lap hoping it would stay. Britton and Bill Stolte were in chase, so I just kept the gas on for the next two laps.There is something about going for it that early in the race that is exhilarating. I've been off the front a couple of times this year with mixed success, but this time it worked out. I grew the gap steadily by a second here and there and had a good lead with a couple of laps to go.

Somehow, my handling felt really good this race too. Maybe I was just extra motivated from the embarrassing outing at the Blvd Cup.

Up next are my first big races since Hermann and St. Louis way back in September. First is Tulsa with big payouts and fields. Then Jingle Cross UCI. Looking forward to both! After that more local racing for December before heading to Nationals in January. I'm probably not making the trip to Master's World's though it would be fun as well, but I can't take two full weeks of vacation just to go to bike races.

No comments:

Post a Comment